The Universe is wider than our view of it.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Biopunk Manifesto: Science For the People

After watching this mini-lecture from our friends at FORA.tv I have a deeper appreciation for the potential of citizen science. You see, I had always viewed the subject as a hobby more or less, something to keep my mind active as well as a medium for teaching my daughter about the universe. If in the course of my tinkerings I happened to meet up with like-minded enthusiasts, then all the better. We could get together in a garage and talk shop, solve problems, build something. Maybe even we would make a contribution to our collective understanding of the world around us.


But citizen science is an entire movement, a body with its own momentum powered by the steam of the people pursuing their interests. Yeah, that’s worded a bit corny, but check out this video to a Citizen Science in Biology think-session. Sure, tinkering with your friends is still important, but on a deeper level citizen science is about scientific literacy and empowerment. Pay special attention to Meredith Patterson’s Biopunk Manifesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment